Veterinary Board of the NT
New registration and new graduates
If you want to practise as a veterinarian in the NT you must be registered with the Veterinary Board of the Northern Territory before commencing practise.
- The qualifications for registration are prescribed in schedule 1 of the veterinarians regulations and include degrees or diplomas that are accredited by the Australasian Veterinary Boards Council (AVBC). This includes all veterinary courses currently offered by universities in Australia and New Zealand.
- Qualified veterinarians may make application to the AVBC advisory committee on veterinary specialists to be recognised as a veterinary specialist.
Application for new registration under the Veterinarians Act
This form is for an applicant whose degree is accredited or recognised by the Australasian Veterinary Boards Council and who is not currently registered in Australia or New Zealand.
Credit card payment authorisation form
This form is for credit card payment of the primary registration fee for veterinarian majority practise in the NT.
Your registration is recorded as primary registration where the Board is satisfied that the majority of your veterinary practise is conducted in the NT.
Your registration is recorded as secondary registration where the Board is satisfied that:
- the majority of your veterinary practise is conducted in a state or territory other than the Northern Territory
- your registration for that state or territory continues in force for the period for which you would be registered under this section.
If you are a veterinary science graduate with a degree from a university in Australia or New Zealand you are eligible to apply for registration in the NT.
You must be registered prior to commencing work in the NT.
Complete the application for veterinarian registration and the credit card payment veterinarian registration forms listed above and provide the following documents:
- certification from the university providing details of the degree to which your were admitted, the date of admission, and that you are of good character
- a certified copy of your initial qualification.
Lodge your application with the Board via any one of the following:
Mail:GPO Box 3000 Darwin NT 0801
Fax:(08) 8999 2089
Last updated: 24 October 2019