The Northern Territory Government is investing $23.8 million over four years through the department's NT Geological Survey to increase the exploration, discovery and development of new mineral and petroleum resources under its Creating Opportunities for Resource Exploration (CORE) initiative.
It focuses on research to obtain new geoscience information which will lead to more investment into resources projects in the NT.
The current projects are:
- Amadeus Basin statigraphic characterisation
- Arnhem Province
- Jervois mineral system study
- East Arunta geological mapping
- Greater McArthur Basin 3D model
- Greater McArthur Basin stratigraphic characterisation
- Greater McArthur Basin unconventional hydrocarbon and metallogenic potential
- Petrophysical dataset of the Northern Territory.
Go to the CORE website for more information on CORE programs and objectives.
For an overview of the geology of each NT province including age, lithologies, regional geological relationships and economic potential go to the mines and energy on the Northern Territory Government website.