Some of our information has moved to NT.GOV.AU
East Arunta geological mapping
Jervois Range and Jinka are located in the eastern Arunta Region and comprise basement elements of the Palaeoproterozoic Aileron Province and the Neoproterozoic to Palaeozoic Irindina Province and are the current target areas for NTGS field investigations.
The area is highly prospective for a variety of commodities including Cu-Au, Pb-Zn-Ag, Mo, W, Ti-V, and includes some of Australia’s largest undeveloped copper deposits in the Jervois mineral field.
This project involves a multi-disciplinary investigation of the geology and mineral potential of the eastern Arunta Region.
The project augments the regional geological framework interpreted for this part of the Arunta Region by recent NTGS mapping projects undertaken in the adjacent Illogwa Creek and Alcoota 1:250k map areas.
This project aims to investigate the timing, nature and geodynamic setting of sedimentation, deformation, metamorphism and magmatism in the eastern Arunta Region.
- in 2014 1:100 000-scale geological mapping was completed in Jervois Range and commenced in Jinka
- field relationships, coupled with new geochronology constrain the age of deposition of the Bonya Metamorphics to ca 1790 Ma, contemporaneous with the emplacement age of the Attutra Metagabbro, and other bimodal intrusive units
- deposition of the sedimentary protolith to the Bonya Metamorphics and emplacement of high-level mafic intrusions is interpreted to have occurred in a back-arc basin setting
- the Mascotte orthogneiss, previously interpreted to be the oldest unit exposed in Jervois RAnge, has an intrusive contact with the Bonya Metamorphics
- new monazite and zircon geochronology yield evidence for metamorphism and deformation of rocks of the Aileron Province that occurred at ca 1770, 1745 and 1710 Ma
- new pressure-temperature constraints indicate that the Bonya Metamorphics in the Bonya Hills area were metamorphosed at low pressure due to heat from the high-level emplacement of the Kings Legend Amphibolite
- analyses of structural data yield a polyphase reactivation history for major structures including the Lucy Creek, Mount Playford, Jervois and Bonya faults and Delny Shear Zone from the Palaeoproterozoic to the Palaeozoic in Jervois Range.
Whelan JA, Beyer EE, Reno BL, Kraus S, Kositcin N and Waters-Tormey C, 2014. Building on the geological framework of the eastern Arunta Region: recent regional geological investigations in the Jervois Range area. in ‘Annual Geoscience Exploration Seminar (AGES) 2014. Record of abstracts’. Northern Territory Geological Survey, Record 2014-001.
Reno BL, Beyer EE, Weisheit A, Whelan JA, Kositcin N and Kraus S, 2015. Geological evolution of the Jervois Range 1:100 000 special map area. in ‘Annual Geoscience Exploration Seminar (AGES) 2015.Record of abstracts’ Northern Territory Geological Survey, Record 2015-002.
Weisheit AW, Reno BL, Beyer EE, Whelan JA and McGloin M, 2016. Multiply reactivated crustal-scale structures and a long-lived counter-clockwise P–T path: New insights into the 1.5 billion year tectonothermal evolution of the eastern Arunta Region, central Australia. in ‘Annual Geoscience Exploration Seminar (AGES) 2015. Record of abstracts’. Northern Territory Geological Survey.