The Territory Government is providing opportunities to increase horticulture and economic development in the Alice Springs region through the leasing of land for commercial horticulture development.
30 hectares of land at the Arid Zone Research Institute (AZRI) near Alice Springs is being made available by the Territory Government for commercial lease. Expressions of Interest (EOI) were sought from suitably qualified and experienced individuals or corporations to develop a commercial horticultural enterprise at AZRI.
The successful enterprise will use recycled water through the ‘Water Reuse in the Alice’ project. This project uses a combination of water treatment and storage initiatives to recycle wastewater used at AZRI for horticulture irrigation purposes. Alice Springs is currently the only place in Australia with this type of innovative water project.
The land at AZRI is suitable for horticultural production of high value crops such as:
- table grapes
- native bush foods
- stone fruit
Proposals were sought from interested parties to lease the Land and undertake development that will:
- grow the existing horticultural industry in the region
- provide the necessary improvements to support the use and development of the Land for irrigated horticultural purposes
- respond adequately to the opportunities and constraints of the land
- provide opportunities for local industry
- demonstrate sustainable use of the land through an effective business model.
Proposals will be assessed against these objectives.
Expressions of interest closed on 23 March 2017.
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated: 27 March 2018