Some of our information has moved to NT.GOV.AU
Memorandum of Cooperation with Japan
The Northern Territory (NT) and Japanese Governments have entered into a Memorandum of Cooperation on progressing the research and development of agriculture and aquaculture in the NT.
The Department of Primary Industry and Resources (DPIR) and the Japanese Ministry of Agriculture Forestry and Fisheries (MAFF) welcome the opportunity to work together on opportunities created by the growing Asian middle class and an increasing demand for safe, high quality food.
The NT is uniquely positioned to grow and supply premium markets into the future and looks forward to increased Japanese agribusiness and supply chain investment.
Anticipated mutual benefits include:
- for expansion of the NT’s agriculture and aquaculture industries, providing jobs and new business partnerships
- of projects and trials linking the NT’s agriculture and aquaculture industries with Japanese harvesting, food processing and cold chain logistics technology
- to take advantage of counter-seasonal production cycles between northern Australia, Japan, and other nations
- of networking between farmers, agribusiness partners, scientists and technologists
- and development of technical information, joint publications, research, and the attraction of third party funding.
The departments will develop short, medium, and long-term master plans to realise commercial opportunities, including:
- funding opportunities which may include developmental work on soybean, barramundi and asparagus
- a Japan and NT agribusiness infrastructure road map that includes supply chain logistics
- a protocol to introduce DPIR officers to Japanese companies wishing to invest in the NT
- intent to develop extensive NT-based agriculture and aquaculture research projects such as food processing or a food processing precinct which may attract commercial investment
- intent for Japanese companies to invest in NT agribusiness projects to supply food to South-East Asia and other export markets.
The NT Government looks forward to working with MAFF to increase investment in NT agriculture and aquaculture as well as supply chain development for South-East Asia.
For more information read the Memorandum of Cooperation Fact Sheet .
Director Major Agribusiness Projects
Department of Primary Industry and Resources
Phone: +61 8 8999 5363 Email: email@example.com
Last updated: 20 February 2017