Berrimah Veterinary laboratory
Submit samples for testing
Follow instructions in this document to ensure you use proper procedures for submitting samples for laboratory testing:
Contact specimen reception with samples for testing or for further information.
Phone: (08) 8999 2249
Fax: (08) 8999 2024
Berrimah Veterinary Laboratory
Berrimah Farm (follow the signs)
Range of testing
Berrimah Veterinary Laboratory provides testing in a range of fields. These include:
- clinical chemistry
- clinical pathology
- cytology and urinalysis
- haematology, parasitology
- gross pathology (necropsy) and histopathology
- virology and entomology
- molecular diagnostics.
The testing and research program:
- ensures the improved health and welfare status of production animals
- ensures market access for animals / products through compliance with appropriate Australian animal health and animal welfare standards
- aids in maintaining freedom from emergency and exotic animal diseases
- enhances local and national biosecurity, with maintenance of sentinel animals for early detection of incursions of exotic viral diseases
- investigates the adoption and implementation of new diagnostic procedures.
The laboratories have expertise in polymerase chain reaction technology, as well as the traditional disciplines of a diagnostic veterinary laboratory.
Access and fees for services
In most cases you can access laboratory services through your local veterinarian.
Diagnostic testing of production animals including agricultural livestock and aquaculture species from Northern Territory properties is provided free of charge.
There is a fee to test specimens from production animals for health monitoring or research unless advance arrangements are made with the laboratory for funding under specified projects.
Other tests that attract a fee include:
- testing of specimens from cattle or other livestock for live cattle export
- submissions from private veterinary practitioners from companion animals, horses, caged and aviary birds
Berrimah Veterinary Laboratory is quality accredited by the National Association of Testing Authorities, accreditation number 13626. The facility also complies with ISO/IEC 17025.
Last updated: 08 October 2018