New Principal Veterinary Officer

Dr Anthony Kettle (Tony), BVSc, BSc, DipSc, MSc, MBA, MRCVS, MANZCVSc, is a graduate of Massey University in New Zealand and had his own practice in Sydney for 10 years before moving to practice in Brunei for three years, and Oman for four years. He then spent more than 10 years in Dubai involved with the international movement of horses, quarantine and biosecurity in the United Arab Emirates, before joining Equine International Consultancy Free Zone Limited Liability Company in 2015 as the Executive Director.

For the last three years Tony has been advising governments on the conditions for international movement of horses, biosecurity and contingency planning.  He is a consultant for the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE) and has served on multiple specialist adhoc groups for the OIE including Glanders, Surra, Biosecurity and the High Health High Performance (HHP) protocols.  Tony is a published author on Glanders (a disease closely related to Melioidosis seen commonly in northern Australia), and Shipping Fever in horses.

Tony is the Secretary of the International Movement of Horses Committee and a member of the Welfare Committee of the International Federation of Horse Racing Authorities in Paris.  In addition to science and veterinary degrees, he holds a Master of Business Administration from Heriot-Watt University in Financial Risk Management.

While in Brunei, Tony wanted to buy property in Australia with a similar climate to Brunei and bought property in the Northern Territory (NT) more than 16 years ago.  He visited every year before finally making the decision to commit full time to the NT. Tony welcomes the opportunity to contribute to biosecurity, animal health and welfare in the NT through the Department of Primary Industry and Resources.

Last updated: 30 April 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.