Importing plants or plant products into the Northern Territory

Have you got an import permit and/or plant health certificate?

Import permits for plant products

  • avocado plants
  • banana plants
  • plantain, manila hemp
  • grapevine material
  • potatoes (planting)
  • soybeans
  • turf.

Import permits for plant related material

  • soil, compost, potting mix
  • plant materials for diagnostic and lab testing.

Import permits for used machinery and equipment

  • all used agricultural & earthmoving equipment and machinery
  • ploughs and seeders
  • tractors
  • harvesters
  • bulldozers
  • pruning shears
  • picking poles
  • grape related machinery/equipment/tools
  • other plant related packaging, pellets and plant equipment.

Plant health or plant health assurance certificate

  • plants (household / potted / nursery) plants general (not otherwise specified)
  • fruit and vegetables
  • maize seed
  • peanut seed
  • citrus and fortunella plants
  • papaya plants
  • passionfruit plants
  • untreated pinewood, seasoned pinewood or pinewood articles and firewood from Western Australia.


To find out more about biosecurity or quarantine contact:

Darwin office

(08) 8999 2118

Katherine office

(08) 8973 9704

Alice Springs office

(08) 8951 8166


Last updated: 28 September 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.