Importing plants or plant products into the NT?

Have you got an import permit and/or plant health certificate?

Import permits

Examples of plants needing import permits include:

  • avocado plants
  • banana plants
  • plantain, manila hemp
  • grapevine material
  • potatoes (planting)
  • soybeans
  • turf
  • soil, compost, potting mix
  • plant materials for diagnostic and lab testing.

Examples of used machinery and equipment needing import permits include:

  • all used agricultural and earthmoving equipment and machinery
  • ploughs and seeders
  • tractors
  • harvesters
  • bulldozers
  • pruning shears
  • picking poles
  • grape related machinery/equipment/tools
  • other plant related packaging, pellets and plant equipment.

Plant health or plant health assurance certificate

Examples of plants plant health or plant health assurance certificates include:

  • plants (household / potted / nursery) plants general (not otherwise specified)
  • fruit and vegetables
  • maize seed
  • peanut seed
  • citrus and fortunella plants
  • papaya plants
  • passionfruit plants
  • untreated pinewood, seasoned pinewood or pinewood articles and firewood from Western Australia.

More information

  • Darwin 08 8999 2118
  • Katherine 08 8973 9704
  • Alice Springs 08 8951 8166
  • General email:

Last updated: 28 September 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.