Drought support in the Northern Territory

  • The Northern Territory Government (NTG) does not have a formal drought declaration process. However Department of Primary Industry and Resources (DPIR) officers based throughout the Territory track rainfall and pasture growth conditions. Quarterly updates are provided through the Pastoral Feed Outlook available on the DPIR website.
  • The Australian Government has made funding available to producers who have been affected by drought conditions. Drought Concessional Loans of up to $1 million are delivered through the national Regional Investment Corporation (RIC). Further information is available at the RIC website or by calling 1800 875 675.
  • Rural Financial Counselling Services (RFCS) are available to support producers with free independent and confidential support and business analysis, including help with applications for available government financial assistance schemes. RFCS are provided by Rural Business Support (RBS) based in Adelaide, with Counsellors making regular visits to the NT to meet with clients. RBS can be contacted on 1800 836 211.
  • The Farm Household Allowance (FHA) provides assistance to farming families experiencing financial hardship. The FHA is administered by the Department of Human Services and further information is available at the Department of Human Services website.
  • DPIR has now opened the On-Farm Emergency Water Infrastructure Rebate Scheme in the Territory. This scheme is available to eligible producers to implement new water infrastructure for livestock watering with a rebate of up to 25 per cent of costs available. For further information visit the NTG website or contact Mr David Collinson, DPIR Industry Support Officer, on 8936 4089 or email david.collinson@nt.gov.au.
  • Producers are encouraged to visit the National Farmers Federation Farm Hub for a comprehensive list of support schemes available for the Territory at the Farm Hub website.

Last updated: 30 April 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.