Livestock movement statistics
The Department of Primary Industry and Resources releases livestock movement statistics twice a year, based on returned waybills.
In February/March it publishes statistics for the previous calendar year, and in August/September it publishes statistics for the previous financial year.
Cattle numbers may be underestimated due to delays in the return of waybills. Numbers may also be overestimated due to consecutive movements to the final destination of the same mob.
For more information on livestock and moving livestock visit the Northern Territory Government website.
Statistics for previous years are also updated as waybills are returned.
Numbers of horses, deer and camels entering the Northern Territory (NT) from Victoria, South Australia and Tasmania are not included in the statistics for 2011 and 2012 as there was no requirement to return a waybill during those years.
These statistics record the number of head moved from NT regions to other states, between NT regions and from other states to NT regions. These figures are published once a year.
- Regions - origin and regions - destination - 2002 to 2019
- Darwin region - origin and Darwin region - destination - 2002 to 2019
- Katherine region - origin) and Katherine region - destination - 2002 to 2019
- Tennant Creek region - origin and Tennant Creek region - destination - 2002 to 2019
- Alice Springs region - origin) and Alice Springs region - destination - 2002 to 2019
These statistics record the number of head moved from the NT to other states, within the NT and from other states to the NT for each of the following species - buffalo, cattle, alpacas, camels, deer, donkeys, goats, horses, llamas, pigs, sheep.
These statistics record the total number of livestock of all species moved from NT regions to other states for slaughter. These figures are usually published once a year.
These statistics record the number of PICs for each region and the total number of livestock for all species for each region.
- Regions - all species - number of NT PICs and number of head - as at 02/01/2020
The department publishes a monthly update of cattle and other livestock exported through Darwin Port.
The updates are published through the online publications library.
Last updated: 07 January 2020