Find out information on current partnerships and research activities with the banana growers.
Banana Plant Protection Project
Research to develop of a plant protection program for bananas, targeting control options and resistance breeding for Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. cubense (Foc. TR4). Objectives include:
- assessing different varieties for pest resistance
- evaluating disinfectants and their efficacy in killing the Foc spores
- developing a quantitative real time Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) assay to detect the fungus in soil, in collaboration with the South Australian Research and Development Institute.
- Path to most resistance (2018) Australian Banana Growers Council
- Genetically modified banana trial to return to Northern Territory in hope of finding variety resistance to Panama TR4 (2017) ABC Rural
- Latest TR4 Varietal Screening in the NT (2017) Australian Banana Growers Council
- Research trial to find bananas tolerant to Panama Disease Tropical Race 4 destroyed because of Banana Freckle (2015) ABC Rural
Sharl Mintoff: firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated: 13 November 2018